Course at a Glance
This course is for students and professionals in industrial design, mechanical engineering, and other design disciplines who are interested in learning best-practices for sustainable design, guided by the Cradle to Cradle framework.
Cradle to Cradle Product Design: Designing for a circular economy
This course draws from some resources on disassembly, recycling, repair, upgrade, and green material selection from the Sustainable Design collection within the AU Workshop Library. The course development is supported by Alcoa.
A Certificate of Completion is offered upon passing the course.
The course is presented in six sections
- Overview of Cradle to Cradle philosophy and certification
- Material Health
- Material Reutilization
- Renewable Energy
- Water Stewardship
- Social Fairness
Each section contains:
- Overview video
- Guidance to apply the concepts to the product design proces
- Deep dive videos into specific design strategies
- Examples of companies doing cool things (Optional)
- List of additional resources (Downloadable)
As a follow-up to this course, you will have the opportunity to apply all that you have learned by creating a submission for the Cradle to Cradle Product Design Challenge. [more info to come]